Thursday, August 16, 2012

Classes Finished Classes Begin

So my training classes finished today and tomorrow we head to the beach! Sunday the Thailand/Vietnam people will travel to their countries while we head back to the hotel. Monday we all begin teaching; some of us will be teaching the staff at the hotel and the Tuk Tuk drivers, while others will be teaching at local orphanages, well except me and another girl.  


Apparently we got selected to teach at a new school of which LanguageCorps has never had anyone work there... I believe the name of the school is International School of Phnom Penh (we were told we wouldn't be teaching Monday more like assessing the school with our instructors and assessing the students).  International schools have nicer classrooms, AC and pay more because tuition is higher (too bad this is just volunteer lol).  It should be interesting and I'm excited to see what age and language level I will be teaching for one whole hour a day or if I will be teaching a specific subject!  

The interesting thing is that we also have to do a "one on one" session with someone in the community to teach them English and improve their English after two sessions.  Not so easy when you don't speak that language and how the hell do you go about asking someone that?  My first thought was ask my teacher aid in the class I will be teaching, but what if I'm by myself? Second idea was to ask one of the girls who served me food at a Chinese restaurant to improve their English in their job at least.  Third idea was to ask one of the people who worked at the coffee shop if they wanted a lesson... It's fairly difficult when you don't have a cellphone with minutes on it LOL... But I will figure it out.

Also my Chinese language classes begin on Monday and we do that for two hours every day.

Now to packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment