Monday, May 6, 2013

The Three B's: Busy! Busy! Busy!

I've just realized how long it has been since I last posted here.  I've literally just been busy, not saying that all my busyness comes from my work, but also stemming from exploring and having fun with my friends.  I will try to update you as best as possible.

My new schedule was very light in the beginning of the new term but as always things change dramatically in China within weeks.  My manager decided to leave the school and pursue teaching at another school, so naturally we had to pick up the slack that was left behind.  This brought a lot of changes in our classes and sadly our break times.  I was given two Open House classes, which is basically a demo class for perspective students.  It would be cool if I didn't teach the same thing every single week: colors.  I know you're saying colors is fun, but I only teach 4 colors; red, green, blue and yellow.  So, in order to keep myself entertained I create new games every week involving those four colors.  I have to say I have learned that ending a class with the kids laughing is the most important thing, so I always give them high fives, hand shakes (with a lot of arm movement) and a leg shake (the kids go ape-shit for that).  So far, in the 4 four weeks I have given those classes I got 9 kids to sign up!  Nine kids is a lot, but sadly with sign-ups come more classes to teach an these classes are 8 weeks behind.  I got a new C1 class starting next week so I will have to make up eight of their previous classes near the end of the term.  I can't complain too much though because I still get three days off a week where I can do whatever I want.

During my days off where I actually do something I go to Xi'an, a larger city about an hour in a half away by
public bus, to see my friend Eric.  We met in Cambodia for our TESOL training and realized we were going to the same province, so we became quick friends.  A couple weeks ago we started talking about where to teach for the next term, especially since the U.S. job market still isn't all that great.  We decided it would be cool if we could teach in the same school because having a friend to talk to while in a foreign country away from your loved ones and friends is very important to your overall happiness.  So, naturally I did all the research and then told him what we should do.  He wanted to be a manager and honestly, yes I could have been the manager easily especially with my foreign looks but I know I'm not ready for the yet, but perhaps next year!  So, Eric got the management position at Hefei, Anhui Province while I reasoned with the school about my position and salary.  In the end I won and got an Advanced/Senior Teaching position (they made it just for me) with a 300 RMB advance (I make 6,000 RMB a month now, and when I go there I will make 7,300 RMB a month).  I will be working more hours but that is fine, since Eric and I will be working together to make the school into one of the best Aston's.  


Click and get some info about the Province I'm going to teach at!

















  • My co-worker got engaged and I helped him!
  • My friends mother and brother are visiting this weekend, so I will probably go to see the TerraCotta Warriors again (but this time it will be warmer!)
  • I teach at a Kindergarden called Kids Castle and I teach 2 baby classes (3 years old) and a Primary class (4-5 years old).  They are so cute! Will post pictures later.
  • Mothers Day is this weekend and it's once again on my birthday like when I was born!
  • It's my 5 year anniversary with my wonderful fiance Jose G. Villa (looking forward to another 5 years and so on).
  • This weekend marks one year since I graduated college!

1 comment: