Thursday, September 11, 2014

Been A Long Time Coming!

I just realized recently how long it's been since I've posted here.  Yes being busy has definitely kept me away and kept me from writing, but in all honesty I love being busy.  People every day complain about their jobs and how tired they are, well even I do that, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I can't believe it's been over 6 months since I have written here. I can't believe it's been over two years since I've been back home to the States.  Everything is changing around me, everyone is changing around me and sometimes I feel like I am the only one staying the same.

I'm still in Hefei, Anhui, China and I'm loving every minute of it.  This city is big enough to suit my foreigner needs; such as variety of good foreign restaurants, enough English, work, Universities, booze and yes other foreigners to interact with, but this city is also small enough so that it's not very difficult to navigate once you explore a bit, a good transit system, friendly people everywhere, and enough of a Chinese cultural influence so that you still get those hits of classic traditions that make you say why?  Being in China will always have it's ups and downs and sometimes it will feel like more downs than ups, but if you expect it, nothing really gets to you. 


China can make you crazy, especially how much of a polar opposite business and
management works compared to western cultures.  Like example a) usually the manager or boss will have everything prearranged like a big list so to speak, but here you need to be on top of everything yourself.  If you are not in constant contact or asking the right questions or checking in with things, then well you will probably be left behind. But I can't complain too much since I agreed to deal with those types of situations on a daily basis.




Yep, I am officially the Foreign Manager at Hefei Aston. I am in charge of all the foreigners at 5 different Aston schools in and around Hefei. So, I am in charge of about 8 foreigners, making sure every week that their schedules are as correct as I can make it.  I initially declined their offer to be the manager, but after having many conversations with the school management and negotiating some terms, I agreed to take the position.  I knew I would be good at being a manager, but I didn't know if I wanted to be a manager or a teacher more.  So I agreed to be both.  I do 20 teaching hours and 10 office hours every week.  I get to keep my usual classes and my wonderful public school students, plus I get to be super organized and plan lots of things for foreigners to do.  Hopefully this term proves to be easier than I believe it's going to be.  If it gets easier and communication becomes clearer then perhaps I will stay at Aston as a manager for longer.  I enjoy my working hours.  I don't need 3 days off a week, 2 is enough for me because a) I like to keep busy and b) if I have nothing to do then I am super lazy.  



This summer has been a whirlwind of emotions because of my cats.  In March, Tiffa
got spayed which took about 2 weeks for her to heal completely, and then in August Aerri also got spayed, but she took nearly an entire month. I brought her to the hospital about 6 different times because she wouldn't eat, drink, pee or poop so I became incredibly paranoid.  These cats are my babies and they are my only family here, so it was a very traumatic experience. 


I have a new roommate, she is from the Philippines and she is 31 years old.  She loves my cats and plays with them every day.  I'm so happy because she is super nice to my cats and nice to me.  Hopefully she stays awhile, if not I will get this apartment to myself as the manager. I love this apartment, everything in it is mine and was bought by me in order to make this place homely.  













One of the saddest things that has happened recently is my best friend in China
has moved so far away.  I met this friend during my training in Cambodia and we have been near each other for 2 years.  He got engaged recently and he is now expecting his first child, a baby boy, in October of this year.  He moved back to his wife's hometown in China and I remained in Hefei. By train it's about 19 hours, so talking in person is no longer an option.  I will go and visit them after their baby is born.  I will miss my friend very much. AND I CAN'T BELIEVE HE IS HAVING A BABY and that HE IS GOING TO BE A DAD!!!









My new adventure has begun...

(I will try harder to keep up my posts on here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment